Inspired by The Lost 100-Pagers and Super-Team Family: The Lost Issues, I've decided to create my own take on comic book covers. These will be all-original art illustrated by myself. Thank you and a good afternoon. Excelsior!

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Flower Power


The Black Orchid was a rarity because when she first appeared, she had no origin or backstory. It wouldn't be until more than a decade later that Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean would give her one. I wonder what co-creators Sheldon Mayer and Tony DeZuñiga had in mind for her, or if they intended her to just be a mysterious figure, like the Phantom Stranger. And did the lack of an origin kill interest in the character and prevented her from being a regular fixture in the DC Universe?

In contrast, Lady Shiva seemed  like she was created solely for the purpose of being a supporting character for Richard Dragon, Kung-Fu Fighter. But when she became a recurring character on the Batman titles, she became a mainstay of the DC Universe, flip-flopping from villain to anti-heroine.

2 comments:

  1. I liked Black Orchid in the pages of the Suicide Squad late 80s to early 90s series let me know if you ever do any related fan art with that version of the Squad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plans yet, but maybe in the future. I just draw whatever comes to mind so I really don't plan these things in advance.

      Delete